Plumbing Exam Study Questions:
Are you preparing to write the plumbing exam? Preparing to write the Inter-provincial plumbing exam? Test your knowledge with the plumbing exam study questions that I prepared for this potential Red Seal Practice Exam that I created. Many of the questions have been on recent Red Seal plumbing exams.
Test #1 Plumbing Practice Exam (PDF)
The test below was graciously created by W. Hal Hokanson(halhoke.com) to test your DWV knowledge and code implementation.
Test #2 DWV Sizing and Knowledge Test (PDF)
Below are some other potential plumbing exam study questions and topics that have been found on recent plumbing exams.
- What is done to a Natural Gas line after Installation?
- What is the rough to center of flange for a close couple toilet?
- What is the Control Voltage between 115v and 24v zone valve transformer?
- What is the minimum offset distance in a horizontal piece of pipe which has 60 FU?
- Where is the circulator on a hot water boiler installed?
- What is the first thing done after installing drainage piping in a home?
- What is the minimum amount of backfill over septic piping?
- Know various things about AC units; such as where is an AC unit vent installed in a wall?
- What are the wires in a 4 wire zone valve designed to do?
- Know your Survey Readings and calculations.
- Know Pipe Slope Calculations.
- Know how to size water and drainage lines.
- How is the drain of a Water Dispensing Fridge hooked up?
- How is vertical piping suspended?
- What is the distance between hangers on 6″ Cast Iron pipe?
- What is wrong with the pump installation if the pump turns on immediately after running water?
- What pump is designed for shallow well applications?
- Where is the jet in a deep well pump located?
- If a septic field is located 50m from the tank up a hill, how would the effluent be distributed?
- What is the pressure on a 6″ gate valve if the line pressure is 60 psi?
- What is the Safety Valve pressure on a 150psi working pressure HWT?
- What is the reason for a Pressure Relief Valve to leak on a Hot Water Boiler?
- What would increase the length of flush for a Urinal?
- What is the measurement for two back to back toilets roughed in with 5 1/2″ wall between?
- When would it be ok to tie a floor drain into a Leader?
- Where is the drain from a sump pump tied into?
- How many showers can be installed using one drain?
- Minimum distance between shower heads?
- What type of Backflow preventer is used for Medium Hazard with no treatment?
- What Backflow preventer cannot be tested?
- How is copper attached to steel to prevent rusting?
- What would be done if the test punch of a Hilti didn’t mark the metal?
- What would be done with the Hilti is the pin was damaged?
- What is meant by malleable?
- How much would copper pipe expand if the temp increased by 50 deg C?
- What could be done to a toilet to stop condensation?
- What fixture should be completely impervious to water?
- What determines the size of the piping from a well?
- What determines the size and design of a septic system?
- What is the weakest type of pipe weld?
- What type of pipe doesn’t use fitting allowance?
- What joins laboratory glass pipe?
- What drawing would be used to determine how many clevise hangers to use for a job?
- After installation of a medical copper line, how is the pipe cleaned before use?
- What type of solder is used on domestic water lines?
- Pipe offset calculations.
- Rain water Leader Calculations and tables.
- How would you secured ready rod to a concrete ceiling?
- Know where to find Rod Thicknesses in code book.
- Know how to figure out sump pump liter per second calculations?
- How is testing done to water lines in freezing temps?
- What is the maximum length of a fixture outlet pipe on a double compartment sink?
- What is the maximum distance between fixture and grease trap?
- Know about oil interceptor; including size of vents, how many, etc?
- How high does a vent terminate on a sun deck?
- What is the distance a vent can be installed from a property line?
- What is the grade at which pipe is graded in a septic field?
- What is the maximum distance for one way rodding on a 4″ line?
- What should be installed in a man hole after 1 meter depth?
- What is the maximum pressure for domestic water?
- What size hole would be needed for a 3″ pipe with 1″ insulation, and 1/2″ expansion allowance?
- What is installed on a Roof Hopper?
- What is required in order for a Building Trap to be installed?
- What Backwater Valve is prohibited?
- If part of the drainage system is subject to backflow, what and where could be installed?
- What is the vertical distance the drainage from a WC can be?
- What is the maximum degree change on a kitchen sink, before installing a cleanout?
- What is the main purpose of a siamese connection?
- Where is the Fire Line Connected?
- If a bypass is installed around a meter, what size is the piping?
- What type of bolts are used to mount the toilet bowl to the flange?
- What would be the easiest system design and installation for Zone Valve placement?
- What is needed installed in a home before installing a condensing boiler?
- What is needed to be installed for a building drain?
- What size is a 4″ Vent Header increased to before exiting a roof?
- Know how many Roof Drains are needed if using Flow Controls?
- What is used on a Heating System to allow for expansion and contraction?
- What is used on a Cooling System to allow for expansion and contraction?
- What is installed on fixture drain if below grade?
- What is the minimum pipe size for water distribution?
- Where is the flow control installed in a hydronic system?
- What allows for air to enter around laterals in a septic field?
- What is the indication for hard water?
- How does a water softener convert hard water?
- What is the natural means to power a water pump?
- What is the lift on a shallow well pump?
- Where should a fin tube rad be installed in a room?
- What is the reason for clear water during a boiler blow down?
- What is the maximum change in direction in a circuit vented branch?
- Calculate the distance between 6 double vented urinals on a wall, equally spaced?
- What can a double TY be used for?
- What are the sizes of Nominal Pipe Size? (Don’t confuse with National Pipe Thread)
- When repairing a rusted cast stack above concrete floor, what should be done first?